Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Big H's Eye!

Those of you that read the last post know that Big H had red and swollen eye on Saturday. It was only one eye so I thought pink eye, but then it was all cleared up the next morning.

Monday all seemed well. I guess it was just allergies.

Tuesday he woke up and that same eye looked a little funny. I looked closer and it was red or anything, so I figured it was fine. We went to the grocery store and on the way there he was rubbing it and he seemed really irritated. I told him I'd look at it in the store. We got to shopping and I forgot. Then my nephew said something about how his eye was all red. "OH yeah, I was going to look at it!"



I pull him out of the cart and take a look. It looks really weird and I can't tell why. It's really swollen, but beyond that something is off. Because it's so swollen it's hard to get a real good look at the actual eye ball. Craig and I finally manage to pull the eyelids apart. The whites of his eyes are swelling up around his pupil. It looks like his pupil and iris are sinking inward. I pull away and start to tear up. "Take him to the ER or doctor or something. . ." I exclaim.



Craig, picks him up and takes him to the insta-care. My nephew says, "You're worried about him aren't you?" and, "Did that scare you like 'have a heart attack' scare you?" and, my personal favorite, "He's going to go to the Doctor and they'll take out his eye and give him a new one huh?"



Turns out he just has allergies. The doctor thinks he got some pollen in his eye. All we need to do is give him Benedryl.

The rest of the day my heart just broke for poor Big H. He just looked so sad. I could hardly look at him because it hurt my heart so much to see his eye all swollen like that.

I still can't believe it was just allergies. I have never seen that kind of reaction. I thought it something so serious like he might loose his vision because of it.



Later I apologized to Craig for freaking out.

"You always stay so calm," I said.

"Well that's my job isn't it?" He replies.

"I just feel dumb because I freaked out like that." I tell him.

"Why? Because it looked like your son's eye was melting?" he asks me.

I guess that means my overreacting was somewhat understandable. He also assured me he wouldn't have taken him to the doctor unless he thought it was absolutely necessary. That made me feel better. I hate when I take them in for no good reason. Especially since we don't have insurance.

2 comments:

  1. i'm totally the same as you. i freaked out and called 911 b/c james had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic. even though i felt dumb for doing it, i'm glad i did b/c what if he'd stopped breathing?! i'm glad you did it!

    oh, and i love craig's response (eye melting).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy. That exact same thing happens to my eyes when I get any sort of cat dander in them. As soon as I saw the picture I was thinking..."oh, that looks like a pretty good allergy to something." I hope it didn't take too long for the swelling to go down. It's pretty uncomfortable. Hope to see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete