Tuesday, August 4, 2009

July 31 through August 3, 2009: Colorful Colorado



Taking a trip isn't as easy as it used to be. It's not even as easy as it was when the boys were newborns. Little did Craig and I know just exactly what we had gotten into. But we managed to have some fun and visit with some family, so everything turned out alright.

We pulled into town a little after 11:00 on Friday night. We stayed at my aunt's friend's house since my Aunt's house was already full of visiting family. This house was so well kept. I really don't think I've ever seen anything like it. You couldn't find a spec of dust anywhere.






The next morning we headed to my Aunt M's house. Craig really enjoyed it. He walked around and took pictures for his Dad. We didn't get around to taking pictures with the boys as requested though. Our energy slowly ran out as the trip went on.









After some visiting we headed to the Sweet Corn Festival. It was HOT but fun!



At the entrance they had camel rides.




You could eat all the free corn you want! And let me tell you, it really is sweet corn. I didn't even put butter on the first piece I ate, and it was delicious!



We walked around and looked at all the booths. They had some fun stuff there.








Later we all met up and had some lunch








We came back that night for a concert and fireworks. My poor Nephew had been waiting for the fireworks all day and then he slept through the whole show. Of course, he woke up just in time to find out he had missed everything. Luckily we were able to cheer him up with a plastic light-up sword.






On Sunday we spent the day at Aunt M's. She was cooking a big meal for everyone. Craig and I helped by taking the boys and my nephew to the school next door. My cousin's and I spent so much time at this school when we were little and visiting for spring break.















This carving of raccoons in this tree trunk was always a favorite picture spot when I was little. It's just right next to the playground in the schoolyard.




We kept my nephew entertained for as long as we possibly could, and then we headed back to Aunt M's for some lunch/dinner. Aunt M is so good to her visitors. She always cooks us nice big meals.







After lunch/dinner half our group left to head home. My mom stayed with us and we went down to Main Street.








Main street was kind of dead since it was a Sunday, so we drove up to my Aunt M's old ranch. It was beautiful up there. I can hardly remember what is was like to spend time at this ranch. All I can tell is that I have no memories of being bored or unhappy.












On the way back from the ranch the boys got hungry, so we stopped at a gas station/convenience store/campground to feed them. There we had some close encounters with some humming birds.




When we got back we found out that the rest of the group, that left earlier, was having car troubles. Their transmission was out, and they would be getting a hotel in Grand Junction for the night. The next morning my mom took them a car that she borrowed from her cousin. Craig and I were left alone with the boys. We decided to take the traditional trip to The Russel Stovers Factory. Aunt M even joined us.



After that it was time for some goodbyes



And then. . .the long drive home




Just a quick note: if you copy and paste this you can view this album with out a facebook account.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=133456&id=765058202&l=740f0fee0c

No comments:

Post a Comment