Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Septmeber 7, 2009: Our Labor Day Adventures




On Labor Day we decided to drive up to Salt Lake to visit Travis' Grave. Travis was my mom's first baby that she had with her first husband. He died when he was about 20 months old- before my Mom had even met my Dad. My mom had him buried in Salt Lake next to his dad, who shot himself shortly after my mom had left him. My Dad has adopted, and been sealed to, Travis, and he's always been a special part of our family. I remember when I was little I used to day dream about what it would be like if he were still alive. I mostly dreamed that he would get after Brady for teasing me ;)




It was nice to be able to spend some time up there. We had to feed the boys lunch so we had an excuse to just sit and talk about my mom's baby boy. I have never fully appreciated what my mom went through until now. Having your own babies puts things into perspective.



Towards the end of our visit Craig and I walked over to the Oriental graves that are just a few steps from Travis' grave. There are these two alters over there where relatives can come and burn sacrifices. Here's Craig showing me one of the alters.



After visiting the grave it was on to down town to ride the trains and visit the 'nacle- The Tabernacle- and the square- Temple Square- as my nephew calls them.






We also visited The Gateway, which was kind of dull because everything was closed. Even the DQ was closed :( And, much to my nephews disappointment, the fountain was shut down for repairs. He still found a way to enjoy himself though.





The boys took turns practicing sitting up. Big H wasn't quite as eager as little H. I had to scoot him up next to the fence. We never could get him to lift his head up.




After our ventures in the big city we headed South for some Del Taco and Home ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment