Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Our Anniversary Celebration

I'm just going to say it, "I'm not a huge fan of our Anniversary!" I know it sounds horrible, mean and like I don't enjoy celebrating the day of our marriage. But, truly, that's not it at all. I just don't like that the day can't ever be just about us. There are certain days, in your life, that you look forward to as days that you can make an excuse to take a little break, just relax and stop and think about something that everyday life doesn't keeps you from pondering-- birthdays, holidays, etc. Well, every time our Anniversary rolls around I think, "Maybe we can do a little something really fun this year." But we're always broke, and my parents are making a new habit of being out of town, so we don't have a babysitter either.



Granted our first Anniversary was pretty great, aside from the fact that I was 7 months pregnant with twins. Our second one at least found us with a sitter. But our last two have just kind passed by with a little thought of celebration. I think we put off making real plans because we know we can't really afford anything, so it comes and goes faster then we can think about making it a really fun celebration.



This year I had to work for the first half of the day, we took pictures when I got home, we then went to counseling and later returned home and enjoyed a late steak dinner,-- homemade-- after the boys were in bed. Luckily we put a little more thought into our Anniversary this year than we did last year. It ended up being a pretty good day. I even splurged a bought Craig a nice Card-- it was actually a Valentine's card because the Anniversary cards weren't that great.

This Anniversary was a bit of a different one for us. Our relationship is in a very vulnerable place. The callouses have been scrubbed off, and the sore underneath is being cleansed. It's painful at times, but much more rewarding then the path we were on before. I think this sort of brought a fear into celebrating our Anniversary, but it also made the day all that more important and sincere. I love you Craig! More then I think I knew. I want nothing more then to celebrate more Anniversaries with you, and I want you to be the man I spend eternity with.

So even if our Anniversary celebrations can't always be as special as we would like. We know that the true specialness is just the fact that we are here together to celebrate-- or complain about lack of celebrating :).

3 comments:

  1. (Craig) Thank you for this and all your beautiful posts. I love that you can share your feelings through words so well. i love you and hope our 5th finds us happy and in Hawaii or on a real date at least. I love you toots!
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our first anniversary we had a two month old and not much money, but we spent the evening together and we were glad that we had each other. Our dessert was a sucker. I'm glad to hear your working things out. You have a beautiful family and lots to love each other about. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Love you two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so cute, i love the pictures.

    i want to baby sit your next anniversary, i'll just bring my kids & have a big play date til you get home lol -yep- you can hold me to that promise!

    happy anniversary~

    ReplyDelete