Tuesday, May 19, 2009

May 18, 2009: "Miss Saigon" at The Pioneer Theatre


On Saturday I finally got the privilege of seeing "Miss Saigon," a musical based on the opera "Madam Butterfly." My loving husband got me tickets, to this once in a lifetime event, for our anniversary. I hope those of you that have wanted the chance to see this musical masterpiece took it. This play will probably not be done in Utah again,-- unless, perhaps, The Egyptian Theatre up in Park City picks it up-- not only because of expenses, but also because of sexual themes and crude language. To me it is no more offensive than Les Miserables, which is consequently written by the same composer and lyricist, but people seem to be a little less forgiving when it comes to Miss Saigon. Perhaps it has to do with the controversy of the Viet Nam War, or maybe its just that Miss Saigon has less heroic tragic themes. Who knows? I, myself, love it. I think it is pure genuis. The score is powerful and moving, and the story is beautifully tragic. To me the men behind this musical captured the tragedy that is the Viet Nam war, but do not insult those who sacrificed. I could probably talk about it for hours, but I won't because some may find it boring. Just know if you get a chance to see this show I highly reccomend that you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment