Sunday, July 25, 2010

Meet Ruby!

You may be thinking one of two things: "Why aren't there photos of the dog?" or "Why is she posting about a dog that we all know she has?"

Actually this is a post about this "Ruby"



This "Ruby" was swiped off the shelves at Shopko while mom was looking for window shades. Big H's eyes got big as he picked it up and happily exclaimed "Ruby! Ruby!"

Then, to put the cherry on top of the cuteness cake, he snuggled it close to his chest and gave me a huge smile.



The fact is that this is not an unusual sight. Every stuffed animal gets this loving adoration from Big H- and it also gets named "Ruby". But didn't mean that this emotional pregnant mom didn't continue to pace around the store, trying to stall while I thought up a plan to take away the "Ruby".

Perhaps a bribe with candy? Nah! It was close to lunch time and it's hard enough to get them to eat without a tummy full of sweets. Take it away and let him cry while we make our way to the car? That would probably have been the best choice, but my pregnant heart could not take it.



The toy was just the right price: cheap enough for buying it not to be totally ridiculous, but expensive enough for me to feel a twinge of guilt for spending so frivolously. Craig called me while I debated in my head, and I asked him if I could just buy the Giraffe. He said it was fine, so we walked out of the store with a new "Ruby".



For days the "Ruby" never left his side. He'd go to sleep with it, wake up with it in his hand and he'd carry it all through the house- and to the doctors office. He even shared it with his brother who also happens to be quite fond of it.

Sadly this "Ruby" is out of commission for the week because it happened to be in the same bed as the poopy diaper Big H managed to take off the other day.

I'm sure there will be untold excitement when Big H is reunited with his "Ruby".

1 comment:

  1. that is sooo tender! you little softie :)
    my mom still talks about the day i took a bear off the shelf, smiled, and called him "parley". I have no clue where that came from, but she bought parley & I still have him.
    perhaps, the legend of "ruby" will live on for life as well.
    i love that he kept Ruby by his side for days & days. usually tiny kids will only hold on to a toy for 30 minutes tops. it is a cute giraffe

    ReplyDelete